Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: scsijon <scsijon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:13:25 +1000
At 03:30 AM 11/04/2006, you wrote:
Op ma, 10-04-2006 te 18:03 +0200, schreef houghi:
> The reason is that I do not want a GUI tool for backups. So what are
> you
> using that is on SUSE itself? Or do you run your own script? Have I
> overlooked some great script that is available?

I use rsync.
rsync -avptgoHq --delete-excluded '/home/chris' '/etc' '/boot'
'/usr/local' '/opt' /backup

I run this as root.
With the options "-avptgoHq --delete-excluded" given to rsync, rsync
makes a backup of all the data and kepps all the file permissions
intact, and also deleted data that was deleted from the sources since
the last backup.

I've put this in a bash script that will mount the backup drive runs
rsync then unmounts the backup drive and then runs "shutdown -h now" (i
turn off my computer every day).

I also have the backup drive not mounted during boot, so that when the
system crashes, the backup drive will not be corrupted.

Chris Maaskant.

please
would you be willing to share the total script (text not attachment please)

it saves reinventing the box if we just have to do local changes
thanks
scsijon