Re: [opensuse] Can someone explain SLICK
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:43:43 +0300
Hi!

On 4/11/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> HG wrote:
>
> > Ok, perhaps companies or institutions who want to standardize. But
> > home users... the biggest problem with SUSE has been that you need to
> > reinstall everything when you want the versions of something (for
> > instance, some small application that happens to need newer KDE).
>
> Well, if you're reinstalling for that sort of thing, I can see why you
> think it's a problem. I would tend to turn that around and say the

Ah, that is just a sample - at some point this will happen... but
perhaps it's just not that small program. It might also be that you do
not get the security updates anymore... or that the KDE that was
shipped is filled with bugs (like SuSE 9.0) or... well you get the
point. At some point you need to upgrade something big and it is only
possible by upgrading the whole distribution.

So with SLICK, is this all fixed? Are there anymore different SLICK versions?

> small application is the problem, not SUSE. Chances are you might very
> well be able to just rebuild that small app instead (using your current
> KDE).

Yes, the source code is available... but I really do not have the time
to get the source code and then spend a day to get it to compile and
then wait 2 days for it to compile. :-)
There are different kinds of Linux users here, I'm one of those who
are quite happy to get pre-compiled versions of the software. Actually
many are such SUSE users that they only ever instal those programs
that are available through YaST. I'm almost one of these. Kynaptic
seems to make this selection much wider. There is already too much to
configure with the current Linux softwares, we can just use all our
time to compile source code and then configure the software - we never
have the time to use them. :-(

> > Last question, would this be _the_ version to install to a laptop that
> > doesn't have a CD drive (and therefore all SUSE updates are a pain..)?
>
> You can always install an update over the network.

Yes, but - at least always before - with SuSE one needs to boot from
the new CD. Update was not possible from running the old system and
going to YaST. Even though, it looks like it. I've tried it last with
some 9.X versions and ... well, it did not work at all. (I started
with SuSE/Linux at around 9.0... so I didn't know this then.)
So, I think I need to start from CD/DVD (impossible) or floppies
(about 6-8 of them) to either install completely new system or to do
the update.

> > I presume this can be installed with floppies and network?
>
> Probably even easier - USB-stick.

USB doesn't work for this (or on this machine). Network boot would be
ok, but it's too hard for me to set up with SUSE. I've tried it with
knoppix though and it works just fine. Actually, I could see a
tremendeous benefit for small business if SUSE would include a easy to
setup network boot installation. Large businesses can take the time to
use the current systems, but smaller can not. It's easier to just go
around the computers with a DVD (usually the installations are
slightly different for different needs) - so Knoppix style (=easy,
"start server here") network boot installation would help there.

--
HG.