Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:26:50PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>
> > I am just interested what other people use and if they found it on the SUSE
> > Linux Distribution. The reason I ask is because I have a feeling that
> > there is not good backup-script available om SUSE Linux.
>
> my answer was to say such a script don't exist, suse or not
> suse...

My opinion is that there are several scripts out there, backup2l being one
of them, for the standard home PC. Yet none of them are on the SUSE Linux
distribution. Not perfect scripts, but good scripts.
If I compare it to the rest of tools available and look at the importance
of backups (and recovery) I think it to be strange there are no better
backup tools on SUSE Linux available.

> I tried dozens of scripts, not one was good at recovery time...

I had the "luck" to test the recovery of backup2l and it worked great.
Both for a single file as for a whole directory. You have a good point.
Recovery is more important then backup.

> the only way I keep using is writing cd/dvd (directly
> readable). I use others things also, but with little luck, so...

How do you do that? Do you use a script, or do you just copy stuff there?

> and I keep a tree with a size consistent with the support size

Not sure what you mean here.

houghi