Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:28:42 +0200
Chris Maaskant wrote:

>> or does it do recursive backups as well?
>
> If that means copying directories + subdirectories, then yes.

may be he mean incremental backups.

the problem is different if you works on one very big file,
or many small files (or a mix)

and do you want to keep most of the versions of a small file
(programming with undo) or only the last one.

backing up a multi gigabyte file may prove difficult without
special hardware, and howmany copies do you need to keep?

backing up many small files is easy, but restoring them is
very hard (what is the good version, and where?)

do you download many distribution images? do you want to
keep them?

and if, as I do, you have sometime one case and others
moment the other, you understand than automatic backup is
rarely good.

to be more positive,

* I keep images... on cd's
* I burn small files to cd. I copy them to USB drive or to
an other computer.

time to time I make a "recollection". That is I copy all my
text files on the same support (cd, dvd) to have all them at
hand.

I _never_ discard any cd... I have still 5 years ones.

and I have a copy of the most important cd/dvd on a other
location... and I have a fire resistant wallet...

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net