Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: Chris Maaskant <gch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:30:52 +0200
Op ma, 10-04-2006 te 18:03 +0200, schreef houghi:
> The reason is that I do not want a GUI tool for backups. So what are
> you
> using that is on SUSE itself? Or do you run your own script? Have I
> overlooked some great script that is available?

I use rsync.
rsync -avptgoHq --delete-excluded '/home/chris' '/etc' '/boot'
'/usr/local' '/opt' /backup

I run this as root.
With the options "-avptgoHq --delete-excluded" given to rsync, rsync
makes a backup of all the data and kepps all the file permissions
intact, and also deleted data that was deleted from the sources since
the last backup.

I've put this in a bash script that will mount the backup drive runs
rsync then unmounts the backup drive and then runs "shutdown -h now" (i
turn off my computer every day).

I also have the backup drive not mounted during boot, so that when the
system crashes, the backup drive will not be corrupted.

Chris Maaskant.

PS: This is my first post to the list Yay!! :-)