OpenSuse 10.1 beta 9: Problem to resolve hostnames from LDAP-Database
  • From: Jens Weiße <weisse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:40:11 +0200
Hi list,

I discovered a strange problem with hostname resolution under OpenSuse 10.1
beta 9. The hostnames are stored in a LDAP database.
In /etc/nsswitch.conf are the following lines:
[...]
passwd: compat
group: compat
shadow: compat
passwd_compat: ldap
group_compat: ldap
hosts: files ldap dns
[...]

The user login works fine. With "getent hosts" I became full list of
hostnames. But ping (and maybe sshd) can't resolve the hostname. ping doesn't
work and ssh login attempts need nearly 1 minute.

The same setup (/etc/ldap.conf, /etc/openldap/ldap.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf)
works on Suse 9.3 and 10.0 very well. The TLS encryption is working and is
not the problem.

Jens