Re: advanced operation
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:48:06 +0200
jdd wrote:
> As you may know, when installing 10.1 (at least beta 8), if
> you stop the install after the first cd, you get stuck by a
> wrong root login.
>
> having this problem, and knowing the lost root passwd is
> very frequent on the net, I setup a sdb page (in french, sorry).
>
> I nearly invented a new way to circomvent a somewhat better
> protection on the new (10.x) systems - it's no more
> sufficient --at least in this case-- to blank the passwd field.
>
> http://fr.opensuse.org/J'ai_perdu_le_mot_de_passe_root
>
> given the hardness of the subject I would be glad if some of
> you could check the solution on a testbed system (NOT on
> production system, please :-);
>
> I did this on a VMware install.

as you may know, it's easy to find a complicated solution
and difficult to find a simple one :-).

The given page gives a system to boot with /bin/sh in place
of init.

You have root power. What I didn't understand at first is
that you don't only have root power, you _are_ root. So
after having access, it's enough to run passwd to set a
correct passwd :-)))

after that you have access normally :-)

jdd

--