advanced operation
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:24:01 +0200
As you may know, when installing 10.1 (at least beta 8), if
you stop the install after the first cd, you get stuck by a
wrong root login.

having this problem, and knowing the lost root passwd is
very frequent on the net, I setup a sdb page (in french, sorry).

I nearly invented a new way to circomvent a somewhat better
protection on the new (10.x) systems - it's no more
sufficient --at least in this case-- to blank the passwd field.

http://fr.opensuse.org/J'ai_perdu_le_mot_de_passe_root

given the hardness of the subject I would be glad if some of
you could check the solution on a testbed system (NOT on
production system, please :-);

I did this on a VMware install.

thanks
jdd