Re: [opensuse] 10.0 floppies
  • From: Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:16:50 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, jdd wrote:

> Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

> >> * where are the floppies images? Looks like they are cat'ed
> >
> > They are created by that script you mentioned. Pre-build versions for 10.0
> > are on our ftp server.
>
> "created"? but from something :-). I try to understand why
> it's not done with the bare images, that seems simpler than
> a script :-)

It's wasting space on CD1. And even more on bi-arch CDs. And they are just
that rarely used.

> >> * if so why does rawrite still exist in the cd? don't seem
> >> anymore usefull. (perl is not that usual on windows :-)
> >
> > Download the images and burn them. If you think that's too esoteric: we
> > usually forget to put out pre-build floppy images and are reminded by
> > customers asking our supporters. :-)
>
> not for me. I write a course on SUSE admin, using old
> machines as testbed, so as anybody can afford one. So
> floppies are awfull but often necessary (it's surprising how
> many computer can't boot from cd :-()

If they are that old, you're sure you want to run kde or gnome on it? :-)

IIRC desktop PCs started to be CD-bootable around the time Win95 came out.

> > You can create 32 and 64 bit images (or bi-arch, if you really have that
> > many floppies).
>
> mkbootdisks can make 32 or 64 bits floppies, I don't really
> know why. (can't you start a 64 bit install with a 32bits
> floppy?)

Ehm, no. You want to run a 64-bit kernel for a 64-bit install.

> and this script is smart, but a little too smart for me :-(

It's very trivial. It (basically) copies /boot/xxx/loader to a FAT-image and
splits it in 1.44MB parts.

Steffen