Re: [opensuse] 10.0 floppies
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:19:10 +0200
Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

>> this is no more available (10.0).
>
> They are. On ftp.suse.com.

what is no more available is the boot from windows option...

good for the floppies. ftp is enough.

>> * where are the floppies images? Looks like they are cat'ed
>
> They are created by that script you mentioned. Pre-build versions for 10.0
> are on our ftp server.

"created"? but from something :-). I try to understand why
it's not done with the bare images, that seems simpler than
a script :-)

>> * if so why does rawrite still exist in the cd? don't seem
>> anymore usefull. (perl is not that usual on windows :-)
>
> Download the images and burn them. If you think that's too esoteric: we
> usually forget to put out pre-build floppy images and are reminded by
> customers asking our supporters. :-)

not for me. I write a course on SUSE admin, using old
machines as testbed, so as anybody can afford one. So
floppies are awfull but often necessary (it's surprising how
many computer can't boot from cd :-()

>> * what is the real + in this system? are the 64 bits
>> floppies so similar to 32 one is enough to change just some
>> bits?
>
> ???
>
> You can create 32 and 64 bit images (or bi-arch, if you really have that
> many floppies).

mkbootdisks can make 32 or 64 bits floppies, I don't really
know why. (can't you start a 64 bit install with a 32bits
floppy?)

and this script is smart, but a little too smart for me :-(

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net