Re: [SLE] Fwd: OpenSUSE 10.0 hangs at boot (from time to time - not always)
  • From: Peter Collier <pecb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 00:09:12 +0000
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 18:21, Carl Hartung wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I am able to overcome this problem by:
>
> a. booting into rescue mode
> b. running reiserfsck on the partition until no corruptions are
> reported c. mounting the partition
> d. manually deleting all the files and directories (rm)
> e. running reiserfsck again to verify the fs is still 'clean'
> f. performing a normal installation
>
> FWIW, there is another 'flavor' of this problem that affects systems
> with multiple pre-existing partitions. The installer will become
> confused and 'land' at least /boot in the wrong partition. The only
> indication that there is a problem is the system fails first boot.
> You boot to rescue mode to investigate and find nothing in the target
> partition.

This could explain why I get programs crashing, locking up X. Amarok
did about 2 hours ago. Kmail kept crashing yesterday when I tried to
move a email to the wastebin., even after deleting that email with mc.
Openoffice, used to until recently, give a crashed message when closing
the application and so on. Printer cups, needs restarting now and then.

> This second 'flavor' requires wiping the drive before installation,
> period. My impression is this 'flavor' affects mostly drives that
> have been moved a lot from platform to platform, as happens
> frequently in testing labs.

I have two hard drives, hda and hdb. hda started as win98, then RH8.0,
suse 9.0, 9.1, 9.3. Then I repartioned 8 gig to allow win98 to live on
it for my wifes schooling. Now has win 2000 now with suse 10.0. Not
good going off what you say. Win 2000 also complains at times, but I
had put that down to trying to run microsoft.
On the otherhand hdb I picked up 2nd hand with win98 on it. I deleted
the partion table using dos fdisk and now it has ubuntu on it. That one
does not seem to give many problems, especially considering thats the
one I let the grandchildren loose on.

> hth & regards,
>
> - Carl

Thanks for the info Carl. When 10.1 is completed, I'll use your above
tips. As a side note, I remember years ago having fun by not using the
fdisk that belonged to the operating system on that partion. I had
repartioned a 500 meg drive that had win 3.1 on it, using OS2 fdisk so
that I could put OS2 on the other half. However, when booting into win
3.1, it claimed it still had the whole disk. This also occured when
trying to install an early linux version.

Peter C

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
This Thread