Re: [SLE] Question about 'net connection/sharing
  • From: "suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx" <suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:14:26 -0500
On 1/31/06 11:20 PM, "JB" <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> My girlfriend recently got satellite internet. Her daughter of course needs
> to use it also (as will I soon).
> I thought a router would be the thing to use for all 3 of us to hook into to
> use the 'net, but a friend here said a hub/switch will be just fine.
> Which is better? Which would allow all 3 of us to be 'online' at the same
> time the best (meaning, which/what would try to even out the bandwidth we use
> if all 3 of us were online at one time?)? Is the switch good enough? It seems
> to be working well enough for the two of them as it is, but I'm just curious
> if there's something that might be any better.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JB

There is a big difference in a hub, a router, and a switch.

A hub shares the bandwidth with each computer connected. (the more computers
connected, the slower each is.)

A switch gives each computer the full 100Bt connection speed. (or what ever
your network is.)

A router* does just what the name implies.

*Some routers have a 5 or 8 switch built in...

What you want is a switch. They are very, very cheap nowadays.
(think "down the road"...get a gigabit switch)
$20 such as:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313920&pfp=cat
3

Now, after all that's said, I don't think you will notice any speed
difference in just sharing the satellite connection with not going gigabit.
;)
The speed can't be THAT fast... It just makes more sense ($) to get a
gigabit if you are going to buy something.
--

Thanks,
George

``One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas.
How he got in my pajamas, I don't know,``''Animal Crackers,'' 1930.