Re: [SLE] Question about 'net connection/sharing
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:36:12 -0800
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 08:20 pm, JB wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> My girlfriend recently got satellite internet. Her daughter of course
> needs to use it also (as will I soon).
> I thought a router would be the thing to use for all 3 of us to hook into
> to use the 'net, but a friend here said a hub/switch will be just fine.

Heh, tell your friend to go google hub, switch and router. Very different
animals.

As most peeps here are telling you, you need a router to distribute the single
incoming IP address to the multiple IP addresses your computers will need.
Then you need a switch (or a hub) to allocate the bandwith among those
computes.

Typically, the modern home-market router will also have a switch built-in and
is very inexpensive.

I have mine configured: modem (dslam) -> router/switch -> boxen

> Which is better? Which would allow all 3 of us to be 'online' at the same
> time the best (meaning, which/what would try to even out the bandwidth we
> use if all 3 of us were online at one time?)? Is the switch good enough? It
> seems to be working well enough for the two of them as it is, but I'm just
> curious if there's something that might be any better.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JB
> --
> Ragheads and illegal aliens...the world's cockroaches.

Actually, just for clarification, "ragheads" typically aren't the scourge you
make them out to be. I have several seik friends (all with the "raghead") and
they have nothing to do with the Muslim extremists to which you're referring.

> When a person's first acts in America are to illegally sneak in, lie about
> their status, obtain fraudulent identification, deceive public services and
> solicit an itinerant job in the underground economy, people have a right to
> ask what sort of neighbor they might become.

Heh, good one!

Of course, the next question is - how ethical is the business owner who
employs said illegal alien?

--
kai
www.perfectreign.com

linux - genuine windows replacement part