Re: [SLE] Session management error
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:24:39 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2006-02-01 at 16:11 -0000, Brian Green wrote:

> 1) I'm really troubled by your "... moved to 10.0 from 9.3, ..." comment.
>
> Must I expect to do a repeat clean install when I move from 10.X to 11.0
> followed by a tedious rebuild of all the functionality I've grown accustom to
> in the interim and just deleted? Is there no short cut? Some reference table
> of installed packages that can be archived before a format/clean install?
> Ditto, some reference table that might aid a roll-back (i.e. solution to my
> original problem) to some earlier working state?

You can update the system, instead of doing a new install. Carl comment
refers to a new install he did over a 9.3 one that failed because the
quick format did not erase everything - that's what I understood, at
least.

An update does not format the filesystem. It updates package by package to
the new version, running from the CD, with your system stopped. Many
people do not like it: you may have dependency problems about which Yast
will ask you what it should do, it is slow, you have to manually tweak
many things later, and sometimes it fails. I must say that I always try
the update route - but I always do a full backup of the system, just in
case. It only failed me on the 7.3 to 8.1 update. This system has gone
8.1 -> 8.2 --> 9.1 --> 9.3.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson