Re: [SLE] OCR software
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:59:25 -0500
At 03:58 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, Ken Schneider wrote:

>Anyone know of any OCR software that -actually- works? I've tried gocr
>and ocrad and neither one produces -any- readable output.

The program from what used to be called Caere, Omnipage, is wonderful.
It runs in MS Windows; maybe it can be coaxed to run in one of the
clone things that Linux has. It's not free--the basic version costs
about $100, but it's worth it to have something that just _works_!
It does columns, it is not fazed by scans that are a little off the
absolute vertical, all the cheapies that come with scanners should be
thrown in the trash can. This is the program you need. If you don't
use Windows for anything else, this is a reason to do so. (I don't have
any financial interest in the company.)

--doug