Re: [SLE] Converting my son - printing -continued
  • From: Bob S <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:27:40 -0500
On Tuesday 10 January 2006 22:14, Bob S wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 January 2006 09:30, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 02:13 -0500, Bob S wrote:
> > > Hello SuSE people,
> > >
> > > Hope you can help with the final conversion. After many crashes,
> > > worms, virii, etc. in Windows I finally convinced my son to allow me to
> > > install SuSE 9.2 on his machine. All went well and he is learning the
> > > Linux way. Except !! that he cannot print!
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, during the Windoz period, he purchased one of those
> > > all-in-one Brother printer/scanner/copier things. I think the model is
> > > MFC 4230C or 3240C or something close. I don't think it it is
> > > supported. Yast does see it though.
> > >
> > > Just hoping someone on this list has run across this and successfully
> > > installed this beast in SuSE. I need to keep my son converted!!
> > > Any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > Bob S.
> >
> > Two places to check for a driver is
> >
> > (a) http://linuxprinting.org.
> > (b) the manufacturer for a PPD file
> > (c) check the driver DVD for a PPD file
> >
> > I always check linuxprinting.org first so I don't waste my time and also
> > let the manufacturer know why I didn't buy their product if it is not
> > supported. Doesn't help in your case but tell them anyway.
> > Good luck.
>
> Thanks for replying Joe,Kai, & Ken,
>
> Will check those out & hopefully getting him printing again.

Went to the Brother site and found an rpm for SuSE. Installed that and still
didn't work. Read the install instructions again, this time carefully. Found
out you must run it on LPD. Didn't have that installed so we installed that
and that uninstalled half of CUPS. Anyway, Yast now configures and installs
the printer, I think. Try to print a test page and the printer responds with
"receiving data" but never prints anything. I believe the printer driver is
sending "raw" and the printer doesn't know what to do with it. Could it be
something like a ghost script thing? or am I off base here. And if it is
something like that how do I fix it.

There were one or two things in the instructions that confuse me. It says,
'"Ensure that the :LP line reads as follows. :LP=/dev/USB/lp0 " Have no
idea what the :LP line is or where I would find it and they do not say.

Anyway, I think we are close. Maybe one of our printer gurus can point the
way?

Bob S.

< Previous Next >