How to move installation to another disk (inside same computer)?
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:44:16 +0200
Hello!

I have 10.0 installed on a large (but old) disk. Now I have another
same sized disk and a (old) smaller disk as well. What I'd like to do
is to move the installation from current drive to the smaller drive
and then set up the 2 large drives with mirroring (for data).

The guestion is, how can I move everything from one disk to another
when they are of different sizes? (Equivalent of what Norton Ghost
does I guess.) I think dd only works with same sized disks, right?

I'm thinking that I should create partitions on the new smaller drive.
Boot with SuSE-live (or knoppix) and then as root, just "cp *" from
old partitions to the new ones. And then physically move the disks
around inside the computer. But I do not think that the new disk would
boot. So I still need to... what, boot the SUSE installation and let
that try to fix the installation, or? There must be a easier way...

--
HG.