Re: [SLE] Mainboard selection
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:28:13 -0500
On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:27, Roland Turcan wrote:
> Hello suse-linux-e!
>
> I am thinking about buy this mainboard and CPU:
>
> AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 64bit. soc.939
> MB Microstar K8N nWidia nForce NF3
>
> I am not sure if still SuSE 9.2 is not able to support south brigde
> of this board. I was trying to build similar computer in October 2005
> and I had to change to board who support AMD processor with socket
> 754, because network adapter didn't work and as I remember that USB
> had problems too.
>
> Maybe you take me question, that why I don't want SuSE 10.0, but the
> reason is, that I have got very bad experiences with running Kylix 3
> Pro on Linux kernel 2.6.11=>. On 9.2 it works.
>
> I woun't buy it if it won't work corretly for me.
>
> --
> Best regards, TRoland
> http://www.rotursoft.sk
> http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk
Roland
I'm thinking you should look at a motherboard with the nForce 4 chipset
rather than the 3. Seems to me there were several problems regarding
the 3, which wasn't around long before nVidia came out with the 4,
which is much better. Better supported, more reliable. Anyway, why
settle for outdated when you can get the newer? Someone must be
closing out some old hardware.

regards,
Lee