Re: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:32:21 +0100
On 2/2/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Green wrote:
>
> > I cannot believe compiling the kernel requires ~700 processes running
> > in parallel.
>
> Compiling the kernel _requires_ just a single process, but if you build
> the kernel to stress a machine, one way is to build it with 'make -j'
>
> I've just compiled 2.4.32 with 'make -j bzImage' on a dual PIII 500MHz
> machine with 1.5Gb RAM - the number of processes shown in 'top' crept
> slowly towards 700, the highest number I saw was 767.

Just started a 2.6 compilation with the -j switch causing make to
invoke more than 2700 processes and still increasing. It affects the
responsiveness of my system (Athlon XP 1600, 1GB) significantly.

I was talking about the defaults, initially. By default make is a
nice citizen. Giving the -j switch without options is a bad idea, at
least on multi-user systems :-)

\Steve

--

Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
Software Consultant {C/C++ && Java && .NET}

< Previous Next >