Re: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:38:20 +0100
On 2/2/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steve Graegert wrote:
>
> > A fork bomb like this:
> >
> > #include <stdio.h>
> >
> > int main(void) {
> > while (1)
> > fork();
> > return (0);
> > }
> >
> > will do not more than slowing down a system but it will not lock it.
>
> I just ran the above via a remote konsole, and my 2-way machine
> certainly _appears_ to be locked up. I'll have to make my way to the
> computer-room to check out the local console.

Sorry, to hear that. I've used this code for years in trainings on a
couple of platforms. Never tried that on an Intel box running Linux
prior to 2.6. Can hardly believe that 2.4 can be compromised that
easily :-

\Steve

--

Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
Software Consultant {C/C++ && Java && .NET}