Re: [SLE] To go up the Bash history with <Page Up>
  • From: "Oliver Wittenburg" <oliver.wittenburg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:31:23 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2006 23:14 schrieb Theo v. Werkhoven:
> Thu, 02 Feb 2006, by cassandre@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > Just a stupid question for my knowledge. I love that feature of the
> > SuSe distribution that allows to fetch all the instruction in
> > .bash_history that startx with the few characters typed in shell
> > followed with <Page Up>. I hope to have myself understood. This
> > feature does not exist in other distributions like Debian.
> >
> > Question is: in what script is this feature encoded? It does not
> > look to be in ~/.bashrc and what is the configuration line?
>
> It's not a script, it's the search function of readline (the
> function in your shell that reads the commands and lets you edit a
> command-line).
> Ctrl-R <argument> searches backwards through the history.
> See bash(1)

To use the pageUp and Pagedown-Feature you need these lines in
your /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[2~": yank
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward
$if term=xterm
"\e[2;5~": yank
"\e[3;5~": delete-char
"\e[5;5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6;5~": history-search-forward
$endif

Important are the history-search-* lines.

I just can't test in actually. It would be nice to hear wether it really
works.

Oliver