Re: [SLE] Converting my son - printing -continued
  • From: Bob S <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 07:34:39 +0000
On Thursday 02 February 2006 10:58, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> > Went to the Brother site and found an rpm for SuSE.
> > Found out you must run it on LPD.
> > ... so we installed that and that uninstalled half of CUPS.
> > Yast now configures and installs the printer
>
> Not possible with Suse Linux 9.2, see
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/08/jsmeix_print-einrichten-92.html
> "LPRng/lpdfilter can no longer be configured with YaST."
> and
> "To switch from CUPS to LPRng/lpdfilter:"

Thanks for replying Johannes, (and all of the rest you also, of course)
Now I am confident we are going to make this work for him.

Question: Should we uninstall what Yast has set up for this printer?

> > It says,
> > '"Ensure that the :LP line reads as follows. :LP=/dev/USB/lp0 "
>
> Edit /etc/printcap manually.

I may be slightly confused about that. Above that statement it says if this is
a USB printer, which it is, (MFC3420C )nothing further is needed. I revisited
the page/s and re-read them again several times.
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/

> Perhaps it helps to set up a dummy queue with "lprsetup" and edit
> /etc/printcap then but it may also be totally wrong for this
> driver software from the printer manufacturer what "lprsetup"
> had set up.

I didn't see anything there that would indicate that. Seems that it should
just work. It didn't work because of my stupidity and not understanding the
process. I had only installed lpd-filter and not the lprng package. I will do
that tomorrow. Carlos made me realize/understand that.

> Doesn't this software from the printer manufacturer provide
> a good information or perhaps even a tool to set up a queue
> for their printer driver software?

Actually, the site does provide quite a lot of information. Another question:
The page states that for this model a "cups wrapper" can be installed over
lpr. Would that work after having un-installed everything in CUPS except the
cups-lib? The page tells you to keep that one. Would there be some advantage
to a cups-wrapper?

Thanks again,

Bob S.

< Previous Next >