Re: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:09:23 +0100
On 2/5/06, Michael Green <mishagreen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/2/06, Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Yes it does, I'm sure yours will die too unless you have nproc cap
> > > either at the level of shell or PAM.
> >
> > What's your kernel version, shell you're using, current ulimit
> > settings. And, do you have the code of the fork bomb you ran? I'd
> > really like to take a look at it. Thanks.
>
> Just tested again fork bombing the machine I've described (above) by
> running this simple bash shell forkbomb
> g8:~ # :(){ :|:& };:
> and within a couple of seconds it immediately came to a grinding halt.
> No limits were configured.

If now limits are configured, it's no surprise that the system locks
up. I can't remember if SuSE default installations have no limits
configured. Most other systems I worked with have quite strict limits
imposed by default.

The kernel does not prevent users from creating as many processes as
they think they will need. There is no built-in limit, although the
number of processes is limited to 2^16 or 2^32 (the numbers are
confusing; different sources, different numbers).

\Steve

--

Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
Software Consultant {C/C++ && Java && .NET}

< Previous Next >