Re: [SLE] An idea for YOU and SUSE
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:02:46 -0500
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 13:52 +0100, Jos van Kan wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 00:14 -0500, John Perry wrote:
> >

> (knip)
> >>Well, usually. I still can't resist scanning the craplist every once in
> >>a while to make sure it really is all crap.
> >>

> > Interesting, patches that fix security holes are considered crap.
> > Perhaps it would have been better to say, patches that are not necessary
> > to my system. These security updates certainly are not crap.
> >

> No they are not security updates. Most of them are localization files (for OO 1
> for crying out loud) and I agree with Allen that it would be nice to be able to
> say "No I'm not downloading those files, not now, not ever, never". And whether
> they are crap or not is all in the eye of the beholder.

I believe that the people that volunteer their time to write these
programs would highly disagree with you calling them crap. But I will
also agree that displaying patches/updates that do not apply to what I
have installed should have a means of being hidden from view just as
installed patches/updates are. Provide an option in the pulldown to
should patches/updates for packages -not- installed.

--
Ken Schneider