RE: [SLE] An idea for YOU and SUSE
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:00:46 -0600
On Saturday, February 11, 2006 @ 11:33 AM, Bruce Marshall wrote:

>On Saturday 11 February 2006 12:08, John Perry wrote:
>> Ken Schneider wrote:
>> >
>> >I believe that the people that volunteer their time to write these
>> >programs would highly disagree with you calling them crap.
>>
>> OK, so I've maybe used inappropriate terms to emphasize the frustration
>> that the huge mass of (to me) useless information engenders. To anyone
>> who feels I have offended them, I apologize.
>>
>> >But I will
>> >also agree that displaying patches/updates that do not apply to what I
>> >have installed should have a means of being hidden from view just as
>> >installed patches/updates are. Provide an option in the pulldown to
>> >should patches/updates for packages -not- installed.
>>
>> Which is all any of us have asked for. If it's easy to do, it should be
>> done soon. If it's hard, say so. But it should be addressed. Decades
>> of research in human factors design have shown that too much
>> information, especially inappropriate information, can be worse than too
>> little. We should not have to wade through piles of localization tweaks
>> to find important security updates. As I mentioned before, the apparent
>> tendency to have really new stuff at the beginning relieves to a
>> substantial degree the problem, but does not altogether eliminate it.
>>
>> Actually, I'd like to see a firm statement from someone who really knows
>> that new updates will always be at the beginning. Someone who is
>> involved in, or associated with, the YOU designers at suse. That would
>> make me feel much better about ignoring the long list of, uh,
>> "information I don't need and can't use" :-).

>I guess if this issue is the only thing customers have on their mind, then
>the
>SuSE distro is in pretty good shape. :-)

I know I'm coming in late on this conversation and don't really have a dog
in this fight, but I'm just curious. I'm really still a lightweight in
Linux and SuSE, even though I have had it installed for several years, but
aren't YaST updates only offered for packages that you have installed?
Assuming that's the case, couldn't the relevant application itself (OO in
this case) organize things in such a way that additional add-ons are
segregated into separate packages? That way, if you don't have that add-on,
you don't get offered updates for it. As a matter of fact, I assume that's
the things work now. That being the case, is it a situation where OO is not
granular enough so that one can fine tune their installation so that they
are only dealing with options that are relevant to their needs (different
languages, for instance). I guess, from a design standpoint, this would be
quite a chore, but, still, is this really a YaST issue or an application
issue? I guess SuSE could add layers into YaST to enable the user to set
screens on certain components, but is that really the best use of the
support people's time? Then again, maybe I'm really not understanding the
entire gist of this thread. If so, then simply ignore this post.

Greg Wallace