SuSE/Linux Ping vs DOS Ping
  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:11:48 -0500

G'day, fellow SuSE users. I've got a puzzler concerning ping responses that I hope someone can enlighten me about.

I have a piece of industrial equipment that uses a TCP/IP Ethernet interface that I'm trying to troubleshoot at work. Part of the manufacturer's troubleshooting checklist is to "connect an DOS/Windows computer and use the PING command from the command line." Not having a D/W computer handy, I plugged in my SuSE 9.1 Pro laptop, but couldn't get a response. Not even a "connection refused," just silence.
After some fairly exhaustive troubleshooting, this is what we found:
1: A DOS ping command, from another computer, using the same IP and netmask, over the same cable, got an immediate response.
2: The SuSE machine could not get a ping response, but *did* see the various open and filtered ports on the inustrial box, on the correct IP, when using nmap.
3: De/Re-activating SuSE Firewall made no difference.
4: The SuSE machine's ping command worked perfectly on a regular network, pinging Windows & *nix computers and various hardware routers without any difficulty.

All I can think of is that there must be some minor difference between SuSE pings (or perhaps Linux pings in general) and DOS/Win pings that doesn't matter to most networks, but *does* matter for some reason to this piece of industrial hardware.
Thoughts?

< Previous Next >