Re: [SLE] Straw Poll: Has GNU/Linux Replaced Windows on Your Boxes?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:07:06 -0500
DC Parris wrote:
> This is just a straw poll. I'd be curious to know how many people are
> running a pure GNU/Linux environment - SUSE or otherwise. If your job
> requires Windows, and you don't own the business, don't include that.
> Please include:
>
> <> Number of GNU/Linux boxes vs. Windows boxes (personal or SOHO use)
> <> Systems configured to dual-boot (only if Windows is rarely used)
> <> Any reasons why you still keep a Windows box or copies of Windows around
> <> Length of time you've been Windows-free
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.

I run 4 Linux systems and one OS/2 on my home network. It didn't
replace Windows, as I've never run Windows as the primary OS on any
computer I've owned. I have at various times run Linux or OS/2 on my
work computers, but not currently. While the company I work for promotes
Linux, and many employees use it, I can't because I'm supporting a
customer that runs Windows and I have to be able to work with their
systems. I had previously provided OS/2 support for my employer. Maybe
one of these days, I'll get into the Linux area of the company.