Fatal: LILO internal error:
  • From: Peter Sutter <sutterp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:08:56 +0800
The hard disk has a one GB partition (/dev/hda1) with MS-DOS V5.0 on
it, this is to be preserved. The remaining 79 GB are free for
Linux.

New installation of SuSEV9.2, changed bootloader from Grub to LILO.
When the system is ready to install the bootloader, I get the
message Fatal: LILO internal error: would overwrite Partition Table
Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Warning: boot record relocation is necessary: /dev/sda

in lilo.conf, boot is set to /dev/sda. I can't see any reason why
the boot sector could not be in the MBR.

When I change the bootloader to Grub, it works and the system is
bootable. All the other machines we have run LILO as the boot
loader, and for consistencys sake, I would like to boot this one
too using LILO.

Why can Grub use the MBR as boot sector but LILO can't? What do I do
to get LILO going?

Thanks

Peter

  • No further messages