Re: [SLE] SuSE/Linux Ping vs DOS Ping
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:28:57 -0800
Some of the newer nic has autosense for the cable. Perhaps your windows machine has the autosense cable. Try a standard cable.

David McMillan wrote:
Jerry Feldman wrote:

When Linux pings another host, it sends out the ICMP message and waits for a response. After some time it should time out. Check the default route.

No route. Just a crossover Cat5.

Here are some steps you should look at:
1. Make sure your cables are correct.

Used the same cable for the Windows and SuSE boxes.

2. run netstat -nr on your system. You should have a route to the subnet and a default route. Are you using DHCP or a static IP address? netstat should look sim,ilar to this.

Static IP. No routes, but I'll try netstat on it anyway next chance I get.

3. Are you using a name or an IP address to ping the equipment?

IP. The industrial box doesn't support named access, as far as I know.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx