Postfix mail server
  • From: Paul Cooper <mail.phatlip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:51:39 +1100
Hi, i currenty have a couple of servers running a qmail/vpopmail that server
some mail for me. However i wanted to convert to postfix due to its good
reputation and the fact that i'm now using SuSE and it seems to be the
preferred server.

1) what are the requirements to get a server that authenticates SMTP
requests, serves imap/pop3 mail and does everything with virtual domains.

I would prefer to use mysql as the virtual domain handling, however - the
default install of postfix on suse 9.3 doesn't support this correct? so...

2) what other method that suse's postfix does support is recommended.

I _have_ googled this and unfortunately nearly everything i have come across
that uses virtual domains, uses mysql, and i would really like a 'SuSE
config' . However, if mysql (or any SQL db really) is the best way - then
i'm happy to compile from source. I'm just being overwhelmed with the
different daemons/programs people are using to get a mail server running,
and i'm sure from one tutorial to another they are simply replacing one
program with another - but then i see both of them used in the next
tutorial. (ie one has SASL, then one had mysql - then one had SASL and mysql
:( ).

3) If anyone has a suse specific mail server set-up tutorial, i'd love to
have the link.
< Previous Next >