Re: [SLE] Postfix mail server
  • From: Paul Cooper <mail.phatlip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:56:48 +1100
On 12/2/05, Chadley Wilson <chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 14:51 +1100, Paul Cooper wrote:
> > Hi, i currenty have a couple of servers running a qmail/vpopmail that
> server
> > some mail for me. However i wanted to convert to postfix due to its good
> > reputation and the fact that i'm now using SuSE and it seems to be the
> > preferred server.
> >
> > 1) what are the requirements to get a server that authenticates SMTP
> > requests, serves imap/pop3 mail and does everything with virtual
> domains.
> >
> > I would prefer to use mysql as the virtual domain handling, however -
> the
> > default install of postfix on suse 9.3 doesn't support this correct?
> so...
> >
> > 2) what other method that suse's postfix does support is recommended.
> >
> > I _have_ googled this and unfortunately nearly everything i have come
> across
> > that uses virtual domains, uses mysql, and i would really like a 'SuSE
> > config' . However, if mysql (or any SQL db really) is the best way -
> then
> > i'm happy to compile from source. I'm just being overwhelmed with the
> > different daemons/programs people are using to get a mail server
> running,
> > and i'm sure from one tutorial to another they are simply replacing one
> > program with another - but then i see both of them used in the next
> > tutorial. (ie one has SASL, then one had mysql - then one had SASL and
> mysql
> > :( ).
> >
> > 3) If anyone has a suse specific mail server set-up tutorial, i'd love
> > have the link.
> Maybe I can assist you today, I have a bit of time..
>
> Firstly I need to know how you are currently setup,
>
> To make it clearer there are two common setups,
>
> The first is this
> your ISP collects your mail for your domain, and you download it from
> them,
> The second is your ISP registers mx records for your mail server and you
> host your own domain.
>
> In my experience these are the mos common setups.
>
> Then we need to know if your current setup is an exchange with or with
> out ssl sasl etc..
>
> In a nut shell the simplest setup is postfix relay with qpopper.
>

> Chadley

I have DNS servers that point my MX records to my mail server. My mail
server collects and sends mail. Currently with qmail/vpopmail on a Red Hat
box. I've built a new server wiht SuSE 9.3 and want to set-up a better mail
server with postfix.

I'll be hosting multiple accounts on the box, so i need virtual domains for
both SMTP auth and POP3 access.

I have openssl and sasl installed from a suse mirror.

Thanks for your help.