Re: [SLE] Update of Java SDK to 1.5.0_06 Coming?
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:39:11 +0100
Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Andreas,
>
> On Friday 02 December 2005 02:52, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does SuSE have any plans to keep their Java packages for SuSE 10.0
>> > up-to-date with new releases from Sun? We're currently falling a
>> > little behind, still being at 1.5.0_03 while Sun has released
>> > 1.5.0_06.
>>
>> No, we're doing this only for the next product since new versions
>> might cause other packages to fail...
>
> That is extremely unlikely. Not a good excuse at all.

It might be unlikely in this specific case but it might happen - and
it still needs testing etc. From my experience with distribution
build and with SUSE having several hundreds of Java packages, this is
nothing that is done lightely.

Btw. we have a policy at SUSE that we're not making version updates
for old products unless there's a security problem that cannot be
fixed. For new versions, you really need to wait for the next
release,

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@xxxxxxx, http://www.suse.de/~aj
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany