Re: [SLE] Text editing...
  • From: Mike Forsman <mike.forsman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:37:06 -0600
Donald Musser wrote:

An issue I'm having with SuSe...

I switched over from Fedora to SuSe on this particular server, and I've
discovered (much to my dismay) that once a file has been saved, you cannot
use Backspace in "Insert Mode" to delete characters or lines in your files.
You can only delete text in that way if the text has been "freshly added,"
so to speak...if it is unsaved data. I don't know if this is typical of VI,
since I'm a fairly new Linux user and am mostly familiar with Fedora Core 4
(and teensy bit familiar with Red Hat 9.0 from back that one class I took
back in college). Is there any way to get around that...at all? I figure
it's probably a real long shot but I figured it'd be worth investigating...

-Myles

:set bs=2

Put it in your .vimrc file if you want all of the time.

Mike