Re: [SLE] IDE HD PROBLEM
  • From: Michael W Cocke <cocke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 07:56:36 -0500
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:49:05 +0200, you wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:21 -0200, joao marka wrote:
>[snip]
>> after the system was running, i´ve tried fsck.ext3 an hdc3, and.... server crashed
>> after another reboot, system was unable to mount hdd too....
>>
>> Well, everything points to hardware failure... but... 2 discs at once????
>
>Depends on a lot of factors, you can have two discs fail simultaneously
>if your server suffered a strong enough power surge (a UPS doesn't
>always protect you, especially if it's a line-interactive).
>
>If it is a Maxtor disc, the firmware might have gotten damaged (their
>firmware isn't particularly stable and/or robust, in my experience).
>
>Controller/motherboard might have gotten damaged too - this seems to
>happen more often with power irregularities.
>
>Test the discs in another box, you'll be able to see if the problem is
>with the discs or not.
>
>Hans

Just a P.S. Maxtor disks have been dying faster and faster here -
I've gone thru a few dozen warranty replacements in the last 2 years.
I don't use them anymore. If you've got Maxtors, I'd say it was quite
possible for 2 of them to go at the same time.

Mike-

--
Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
--

Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,