Re: [SLE] Disappointed in 9.3
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:38:52 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have to second that. 9.3 is considerably faster for me on my laptop
> > as well, one think to try is to disable acpi at boot time, the
> > powersaving stuff turned on by default can really slow the machine down,
> > because it's turning my 1.8GHz machine into a 200MHz one.
>
> Just edit /etc/sysconfig/powersave or do not start the powersave
> daemon at all. But the powersave daemon should turn up the speed if
> it's needed - so it should be 200 Mhz while the cpu is bored and 1.8
> Ghz if you give it a big job to do,

And it does that, *generally*, just fine. However, it turns it down too
quickly, so that I find interactive use quite choppy.

I can't *complain* about it, it's doing it's job, but either I haven't
sat down and figured out how to get it to behave more like what I want.
Before SuSE, I ran cpydyn and it seemed to do a better job, perhaps I
just need to fiddle with it.

Also, for some reason, it loses its mind from time to time and always
reverts to "Dynamic" even when I almost always set it to "Performance".

I wish the ACPI in my *DELL* Laptop didn't suck so badly, that's the
last Dell I'll likely ever buy.

--
Carpe diem - Seize the day.
Carp in denim - There's a fish in my pants!

Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>