Re: [SLE] Dead Linux machines
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:18:05 -0700
Nick,

On Friday 01 July 2005 14:13, Nick Jones wrote:

> Pete,
>
> I couldn't agree with you more. EMP is a very real and
> very scary thing that people should be aware of and
> prepared for.

True as far as it goes, but the only way to produce the kind of EMP that
would disable, say, a whole city is to detonate a nuclear warhead high
in the atmosphere.

If someone has a nuke and is willing to use it, then I choose loss of
electronic systems (air burst) over loss of my life (ground burst) any
day.

To turn away from solid state electronics or render them all
EMP-shielded would be uncalled for.

Although it's not the way we're doing things now, it makes a hell of a
lot more sense to stop creating enemies than it does to try to make
yourself impervious to every conceivable, or even every feasible mode
of attack those enemies could muster.

And don't forget, out there somewhere is an asteroid or a comet with our
name on it!

> -Nick

Randall Schulz