Re: [SLE] How to remove panel message on Gnome Startup SuSe 9.3?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:41:24 -0700
James,

On Saturday 02 July 2005 00:39, James Ogley wrote:
> > I have been running SuSE 9.3 from 9.2 and usually run Gnome with
> > Metacity. When the panels come up, I keep getting "I've have
> > detected a panel already running, and will not exit" box with a
> > don't enter icon. What do I do to not have this message come up
> > every bootup to Gnome?

> What you could do is drop to a text console, login, and run killall
> -9 gnome-panel

Please, please, please don't tell people to use signal 9 / SIGKILL!

Many, if not most, long-running programs must perform some kind of
clean-up action when they shut down lest things like settings files go
without update.

The proper way to stop a program is with signal 15 / SIGTERM or signal
1 / SIGHUP (simulating the loss of carrier on a dial-in log-in).

Only if neither of these signals results in the process's termination
should signal 9 / SIGKILL be used.

Lastly, it is advisable to use symbolic signal names rather than
numbers, lest you inadvertently hit the wrong key or remember the
signal number incorrectly.

All the primary kill programs, including the shell built-ins, known the
symbolic names both with and without the common prefix "SIG."

> --
> James Ogley

Randall Schulz