Re: [SLE] Transfer mail via disk
  • From: Gervase Chavasse <g_chavasse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:40:25 +0100
On Saturday 02 July 2005 13:00, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Saturday 2005-07-02 at 11:57 +0100, Gervase Chavasse wrote:
> > I tried importing but the import menu allows you to import from evolution
> > and other MTAs but not a previous version of Kmail. Could you please
> > suggest a blow by blow howto? Moving e-mail safely from one version to
> > another is important to me. Many thanks.
>
> If the folder is mbox type, it is prety simple: just copy over the mbox
> file, with cp, to where Kmail can see it. No need to "import".

As I see it, mail is by default in maildir format.

> I have dozens of folders, inherited from suse 5.3, 6.x, 7,x, 8.x, 9.1 and
> finally, to 9.3. All seen.
I managed to copy some of my folders back from 9.2 via a Zip drive but the
inbox folder seemed to behave differently. I have copied it into
both /home/myname/Mail and /home/myname/.kde.share/apps/mail but Kmail fails
to read them. I have of course checked the possessions.

> I simply tell kmail my folders are in ~/Mail/,
> and start using them.
How do I do that?
Thanks again
Gervase Chavasse