Re: [SLE] Mail routing suggestion?
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:49:40 -0700
On Saturday 02 July 2005 4:42 pm, John N. Alegre wrote:

> Im sorry for the confussion and will admit it is all mine.
>
> Ok .. I have a SuSE box with postfix collecting mail in via SMTP and
> sending it to user accounts on this same machine. This is machine libros
> on mydomain. So mail to someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or mail to
> someuser@mydomain goes to someuser on that box. The DNS entry for mail to
> mydomain is all to the IP of this machine.
>
> Now I want to set up a mail account for a different machine, which is a Mac
> OS X machine. This is machine valencia and it has its own users. I want
> the users on valencia to get mail to their mail reader software that comes
> in to libros but is somehow sent to valencia. This is all in mydomain. So
> the questions are what software to use and what has to be done to postfix.

OK, then your issue is really 'what to set up on that second machine', Sandy
has already given you instructions on the changes for postfix on the SuSE
machine so it passes the mail to the OSX machine.

> I was thinking that I would need something like pop3 or imap for the mail
> to get to the valencia machine and the first question was what to use and
> what I have to do to postfix to use it.

You need to set up a server on the OSX machine to receive the mail that the
SuSE machine relays to it. You also need a pop3 or imap server on that
machine if you intend to let those users pop/imap their mail.

Setting a mail server up on OSX is really an OSX topic, frankly, you will
probably get more accurate and better advise from an OSX list than a SuSE
list for the setup on that machine.

The change to your SuSE box is simple, just follow Sandy's instructions. The
hard work is all on the OSX box, good luck.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.11.4-21.7-default x86_64