Re: [SLE] As if ...
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:07:24 +0200
On Sunday 03 July 2005 05:01, Colin Carter wrote:
> As if I am browsing my hard disk with Konqueror and
> I select the 'UP' arrow button in the top left corner
> I just might want to open the superior directory
> with GIMP, or maybe with a media player ???
> WHY is this configurable under "File Associations" ?

Because you may want to open it in some other application. No, not gimp, but
perhaps krusader or something

> Yep, I've done it again:
> Somehow I have accidently 'file associated' a directory with
> Konqueror and guess what: "Konqueror cannot handle this type of file."

That is the way it should be. By default, konqueror is the application set to
handle directories in kde

Your problem must be something else. In your malfunctioning .kde, what do you
have in the directory share/services?

Or alternatively, do you happen to have a file called index.html in the
directory you tried browsing to?

> I'd appreciate any clues as I am getting fed up with all of
> these 'wonderful options' which involve spending years of
> study (nothing better to do) to control.
> If the world goes over to Linux then every technical student at the
> universities will have to study Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology
> and Linux.

Why not? They have to study windows now.

Computers that are used for more than toys are necessarily complex and require
learning. Please don't say windows doesn't, because it is a blatant lie. More
money is spent on windows classes than some countries spend on electricity