OT Memory question(s)
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 14:01:57 +0700
Running 9.3 on my Pentium II and KDE is still a satisfactory experience.
I have some memory added to my main board and have heavily used the memory
test program because I had the idea that some of the memory was defect.
Memory test has run over an extended period and indeed it seemed that I had a
defect in one of the memory chips. Rearranging the memory chips gave me
although a total different result.
Suddenly the memory banks seem to be free of defects.
Is that possible? Can it be that somewhere in the three memory banks there is
some small defect? I am a little bit troubled. Especially after the new
arrangement the 256M chip only seems to show 128 M. Together with the 128M
chip and a 32M chip it gives now a total of 288M, slightly lower than the
256M and 60 M from the chip which was shown as defect. As the 256 chip is
newly bought I will exchange this chip with a new one (guarantee) but I would
like to know if I have overlooked something.