Re: [SLE] Transfer mail via disk
  • From: Gervase Chavasse <g_chavasse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:26:02 +0100
On Saturday 02 July 2005 22:42, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Saturday 02 July 2005 23:15, roach wrote:
> > As for /home/myname/.kde.share/apps/mail, I think you
> > meant /home/myname/.kde/share/apps/kmail. Why do you think you can put
> > mail in there? That folder is for the lock file, custom icons and some
> > notes kmail makes for it's self.
>
> No. As of SUSE 9.3/KDE 3.4, $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ is the
> default location for your mail storage in kmail
Yes, you have put your finger on the root of the problem. The upgrade from 9.2
to 9.3 was different from previous upgrades for this reason.

I think I have cracked it now. I should have realised that because Kmail
automatically creates inbox and sent mail folders on installation you have to
treat those differently from folders you have created yourself. I have now
renamed my old, 9.2, inbox mail folder to inboxold, moved it from my zip
drive to /home/myname/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail and, after adjusting the
possessions, all is OK.

Thanks to all who helped. What a hassle! Wouldn't it be nice if the kmail
people could include within kmail a simple export/import to/from disk
facility?

Gervase Chavasse