Re: [SLE] As if ...
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 00:35:54 +1000
Thanks Anders,
I accept the kick in the proverbial :-)
Just desperation as I am about to go to London and
bought this new AMD64 laptop which has cost me hours
of effort. Read on ...

On Sunday 03 July 2005 13:07, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 05:01, Colin Carter wrote:
> > As if I am browsing my hard disk with Konqueror and
> > I select the 'UP' arrow button in the top left corner
> > I just might want to open the superior directory
> > with GIMP, or maybe with a media player ???
> > WHY is this configurable under "File Associations" ?
>
> Because you may want to open it in some other application. No, not gimp,
> but perhaps krusader or something
Technically I understand what you are saying, and how it applies
to 'clicking' on a file, but cannot see how anybody would want to
open the parent directory with another program. Never mind,
not important for this case.

> > Yep, I've done it again:
> > Somehow I have accidently 'file associated' a directory with
> > Konqueror and guess what: "Konqueror cannot handle this type of file."
>
> That is the way it should be. By default, konqueror is the application set
> to handle directories in kde
Thanks for this info. Been difficult to learn all this, but now it is
coming together it seems 'obvious'.
> Your problem must be something else. In your malfunctioning .kde, what do
> you have in the directory share/services?
I had a look. I have: nsplugin.desktop
I know nothing about this, and almost did some damage because when I
hovered the mouse pointer over it, a tag came up saying that it was a
configuration file. Since most(?) configuration files are text files under
Linux I tried to open it - but luckily for me I got a warning!!!
> Or alternatively, do you happen to have a file called index.html in the
> directory you tried browsing to?
No, no index.
> > I'd appreciate any clues as I am getting fed up with all of
> > these 'wonderful options' which involve spending years of
> > study (nothing better to do) to control.
> > If the world goes over to Linux then every technical student at the
> > universities will have to study Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology
> > and Linux.
>
> Why not? They have to study windows now.
Yes that is true.
But the study of Windows is rather superficial, don't you think?
> Computers that are used for more than toys are necessarily complex and
> require learning. Please don't say windows doesn't, because it is a blatant
> lie. More money is spent on windows classes than some countries spend on
> electricity
I am serious about this move to Linux, but there is an awful lot to learn.
And it is true that when I 'get there' I will know a lot more about systems
than I would ever have learnt under M$ (where everything is hidden and
even more bloody frustrating).

Great match currently going on between Federer and Roddick.
Hard to choose sides.

Regards,
Colin

< Previous Next >