Re: [SLE] Dead Linux machines
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:53:46 +0100
On 02/07/05, Tim Grant <tgrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 20:18, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>
> > Although it's not the way we're doing things now, it makes a hell of a
> > lot more sense to stop creating enemies than it does to try to make
> > yourself impervious to every conceivable, or even every feasible mode
> > of attack those enemies could muster.
>
> Don't know what you're smoking, but I want some!
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist..... not ranting, just serious banter. :o)
>
> I'm a peace-through-strength-nic. If you are breathing and have
> something worth having, you'll either have enemies at a distance or
> serve them up close. I'd rather do the former. Consider Kuwait's
> history with Iraq.
>
> As for the topic of the post, if EMP is an issue there will be a
> sufficient change in our lifestyle that I wonder how many of these
> solid-state things will still be pertinent.
>
> Tim Grant
> West Point '81

I think EMP is only an issue for machines that are actually running at
the time of release of the pulse. A PC switched off would not be
affected.

I could of course be wrong about that and please correct me if I am.
It would seem to make sense that only a 'live' machine would be
affected though.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer