Re: [SLE] HAL horror in SuSE 9.3
  • From: Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:42:20 -0400
On Mon July 25 2005 9:42 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > > Why uninstall it?   Just use Yast -->  System Services   to turn
> > > it off.  (not start at boot)
> >
> > So then the question becomes: is it safe to turn it off?
>
> It is safe.  What will be affected I couldn't tell you.    I've
> never been a big fan of automounting so I couldn't tell whether it
> is affected.

well, I wasn't really following this until you mentioned automounting.
I notice now ( SUSE 9.3 KDE 3.4.1) when I start up K3B it gives me a
system configuration problem message. SAying Automount can cause
problems with CD/DVD writing. But it says to disable the automounting
entries in /etc/fstab. so is the best way to change /etc/fstab, or
turn off Hald ?
here is what I changed in fstab:
from:
/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
fs=cdfss,unhide,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

to:
dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,unhide,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

will that work, and will it affect playing audio CD's??
if it doesn't automount, how do you tell the system you have inserted a
(whatever-type you use) CD?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800