Re: [SLE] Help with NFS
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:43:23 -0600
Dylan wrote:

>>>OK, this is fine, except that if you specify an individual host by
>>>name then you DO need to have working name resolution (DNS or
>>>/etc/hosts.) Also, what is the host name of the server, and each
>>>client?
>>Host name of server = toshiba
>>
>>Host name of client = linux

>>>Right, there's no nfs entry there, was that from the client or the
>>>server?
>>The fstab was from the server.
>
> OK, and the one from the client?

/dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr
1 1
/dev/sda1 /data1 auto noauto,user
0 0
/dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
0 0
/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

can you ping from each machine to the
> other by hostname?

I cannot ping in either direction

Does the clien't hostname apear in /etc/hosts on the
> server and the server's hostname in the same file on the client?

Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the client (linux)

127.0.0.1 localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
127.0.0.2 linux.site linux

Here's the /etc/hosts contents for the server (toshiba)

127.0.0.1 localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
127.0.0.2 toshiba.site toshiba

(I'm a bit out of my depth here but isn't the fact that two hosts have
the same IP address a problem?)

> Restricting the export to single hosts introduces complications into
> the setup wrt having accurate name resolution functioning. It really is
> best at the initial stage to use the subnet-IP-address/subnet-mask
> approach for exporting and explicit server IP address for mounting so
> you can be sure that it's working then sort out restricting access.

I'm game. How do I do that?