Re: [SLE] Motherboard for SuSE 9.3
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:05:56 +0200
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 06:38 -0500, Jack Malone wrote:
> I do not see why you all say to stay away from
> asus boards. so what that they do not seem linux
> friendly.
I couldn't care less what they think of my choice of operating systems.
I choose hardware that's based on components that I know to work in the
software I want to run.

> I have had way more better preformance
> from my asus motherboards with linux then with
> windows on them.
Agreed, but that's true for just about every supported board out there.

> I have uses asus mbs for years
> with none of the problems you seem to be having.
As always, there are for every brand lots of units that work perfect. My
housemate has an ASUS A8V Delux SE (or something such) Athlon64 board
which have given him nothing but joy. Our company has a server with an
ASUS P-III board in, and it's been working reliably for a number of
years now. I have two Pentium classics at home with ASUS boards, also
without any issues.

It's just that ASUS's quality control leaves something to be desired,
and some of their models have issues that they aren't addressing. The
A7V880, the board I bought, is known to have issues with AGPx8 and CPU
detection, and they're simply not fixing it or responding to any
customer queries.

As it is I have to underclock both the memory and CPU to get the system
to run stably, and considering how many posts I've found on the 'net of
people having the same problem with the same board, and considering the
fact all the hardware works perfectly fine in two other boards, I don't
think that I just happened to have gotten a dud.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy

< Previous Next >