Suse 9.3 Threads (Linux or NPTL) question
  • From: Adolph Weidanz <timetopaws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:57:36 -0400

Now that I've switched emails, hopefully this goes through.. I posted it
in alt.os.linux.suse, but if I can this through it probably belongs here
instead...

I was reading this months issue of Dr. Dobb's and they have an
interesting (at least for me ;^) article on Linux threads. So I went my
development machine and did the test they provided. According to the
program they had in the listing (tested the thread PID with the process
PID) and it reported that I was running with LinuxThreads however when I
: getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION I got NPTL 2.3.4.

Specs:
gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.5/specs
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr
- --with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info
- --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java,ada
- --disable-checking --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-libgcj --with-slibdir=/lib
- --with-system-zlib --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit i586-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)
glibc ver 2.3.4-23.4
kernel 2.6.11.4-21.7-default
KDEVELOP 3.2.1 KDE 3.4.1 level "a" with -lpthread as a compile option

checking Glibc /lib/libc.so.6 reports that it is using linuxthreads.
when I set the CFLAGS to -pthread -l/usr/include//nptl -L/usr/lib/nptl
and compile I still get that it is using the linuxthreads and not nptl.

I found one thread on another subject
where they said that if I was using the i586 version of glibc it would
use LinuxThreads instead of NPTL. To get around this they said to use
the i686 version. Problem is I am already using it.
Am I missing something.. Or totally missing the point???

- --
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

?To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public.? [Theodore Roosevelt] 1918

Adolph & Sharon Weidanz SuSE 9.2
'78 43' Endeavour Ketch Folding@Home Team 45
S/V Time To Paws