RE: [SLE] File/Directory Permissions.
  • From: "Marlier, Ian" <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:54:26 -0400
`chmod g+s /path/to/dir`

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Paulson [mailto:jpaulson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:29 PM
To: James Knott
Cc: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SLE] File/Directory Permissions.

> Jay Paulson wrote:
>> Quick question about file permissions. I was wondering what the
>> command
>> line was for setting a directory so that users of the same group can
>> read, write, and execute a file. Also, I was wondering what the
>> command
>> line was for when setting a directory permission/ownership was so
that
>> anyone in the group can write to the directory. I thought it had
>> something to do with the sticky bit however, I'm not sure what the
>> sticky bit does.
> man chmod, chown & chgrp

I've read those and I'm still asking. eek! :) What I'm trying to do is
have 2 users in the same group able to edit files of other users in the
same group or write files in other user's directories as long as they
are in the same group.

For example... I have user A in group users and www. User B is in
only group www. I have a directory who's owner is user B with a group
ownership of www. However, when user A tries to move files into that
directory or edit any files in that directory they can't. They can
only see the files because the global permission on the directory and
files are set to read only.

I really want to figure out how to get user A and user B to be able to
work in the same directory as long as they are in the same group. It
shouldn't matter who owns the file as long as the users are in the same
group.

I hope that explains what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!