Re: [SLE] File/Directory Permissions.
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:01:12 -0400
Jay Paulson wrote:
>>> Quick question about file permissions. I was wondering what the command
>>> line was for setting a directory so that users of the same group can
>>> read, write, and execute a file. Also, I was wondering what the command
>>> line was for when setting a directory permission/ownership was so that
>>> anyone in the group can write to the directory. I thought it had
>>> something to do with the sticky bit however, I'm not sure what the
>>> sticky bit does.
>> man chmod, chown & chgrp
>
> I've read those and I'm still asking. eek! :) What I'm trying to do is
> have 2 users in the same group able to edit files of other users in the
> same group or write files in other user's directories as long as they
> are in the same group.
>
> For example... I have user A in group users and www. User B is in only
> group www. I have a directory who's owner is user B with a group
> ownership of www. However, when user A tries to move files into that
> directory or edit any files in that directory they can't. They can only
> see the files because the global permission on the directory and files
> are set to read only.
>
> I really want to figure out how to get user A and user B to be able to
> work in the same directory as long as they are in the same group. It
> shouldn't matter who owns the file as long as the users are in the same
> group.

With SuSE, all users are by default part of the users group. So, all
you have to do, is make sure the group has appropriate privilidges for
what you want to allow. It may be easiest to use the octal method for
chmod. In this way, the three numbers correspond to User, Group and
Others. The individual bits are Read, Write and Execute. So, all
privilidges would be 7, read & write 6, etc.

BTW, you don't have to reply to both the person and the list. Just to
the list is fine.

< Previous Next >